"The kind of food our minds devour will determine the kind of person we become." - John Stott, Your Mind Matters

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

It's Because I'm a Girl, Right?

Huh. 
What?!
Oh no!
Oh.

These are a few of the responses I got from some of my close friends and family when I shared the happy news that I'd been asked to preach at my church. Some others - who found out via Facebook - said nothing at all.

And I get that. It's weird. It's different from the traditions we came from. And besides, woman preachers are all ultra-liberal-feminists with an axe to grind...right?

But still, it hurts. It hurts to see the reservation in someone's eyes when you're sharing your exciting news. It hurts to know that, even though they're not comfortable with it, they don't even try for your sake to fake interest, let alone excitement, on your behalf. It hurts to know that if it was Steve who told them he was preaching, they'd be thrilled. They'd ask him questions, offer prayers perhaps for a good experience, invite their friends to come and hear him speak on the Big Day.

But, because I'm a girl, it's weird. It's awkward. 


And I know most don't mean it this way, but it's a little bit shaming, too. Instead of rejoicing at the chance to follow my passion and use a gift that's been growing in me, I feel apologetic somehow, like I need to explain that I'm not trying to be a rebel, I'm not trying to be a usurper. I'm not one of those ultra-liberal-feminist preacher-women.

I'd like to explain to them that I've never sought out preaching. I've intentionally never asked or inquired about opportunities in this area - that has been my own personal fail-safe to make sure that if and when it did happen, it was from God and not from my own ambition. Seven, eight, nine years I spent silently waiting, and two months ago, I was asked. I trust that God is willing to work with my personal fail-safe to trust now that this request was approved by him.

I'd like them to know that I have struggled with this issue, researched it, and used my brain and seven years of theological education to make an informed decision. I didn't just decide it sounded better because I wanted it to be. I found the arguments for egalitarianism to be the most persuasive and in line with Jesus and with the Biblical witness as a whole.

But I won't tell them anything - because attacking complementarianism and winning converts isn't my goal. Living out my vocation is. And that's been huge for me - to realise that, although I'd like the approval of those closest to me, I don't have to have it. The confidence is there now, I have peace that God is walking this journey with me.

But still, it makes me sad. It hurts to know they very well might think I'm sinning by following what I sincerely believe to be my God-given passions. In truth, it often frustrates me that people think it's wrong for me to preach - simply because I'm a woman. This is how it feels:

  • View A (mine): Wow, how wonderful that you're so excited and passionate to share God's Word!
  • View B (others): How unfortunate/wrong that you're a woman who wants to share God's Word!

It reminds me a bit of the story of the blind man in John 6. While everyone else was debating whose sin was responsible for his blindness, Jesus healed him. And instead of Response A...

  • Praise God, a man who was blind all his life can now SEE!!! How amazing! How wonderful!!! 

...the religious folks gave Response B:

  • Um, it's SATURDAY! How dare you heal on the SABBATH!!

Is it fair to say they might've been missing the point? 

All that to say: I'm not trying to pick on those with a different view in this area, and I'm certainly not suggesting that my hurt feelings are reason enough for a change in one's theology. But I think it's worth sharing/hearing how it feels to be a woman on the outside - to feel judged by another believer for using the gift you are fully confident is from God - for no other reason than your gender.

Is there some way to rejoice with each other in this area despite our differences? Or is avoiding the issue the best we can do?

PS - If you're so inclined, you can read my sermon here.
PPS - Since Rachel Held Evans tweeted this post, I've got an influx of new pageviews. If you'd like to hear a little more about my vocational journey, check out my earlier post, Finding My Voice: A Turning Point at Calling Lake. :-)

13 comments:

  1. Hey Becky!I read your sermon recently and found it encouraging! I'm sure it was a lot of work also, and I'm glad it went so well. It must have been an amazing Sunday! It definitely is worth sharing how you feel, and trying to open up conversation in this area can be valuable. I hope you are able to truly let the hurt go, over time, and just enjoy learning and studying and speaking about God's Word.
    The question about rejoicing with each other even in disagreement is a hard one. I thought it was easy at first, but the more I contemplate the harder it is to truly rejoice because it feels a bit fake. I want to be really happy for you, but I also want to be really myself, and at this point I can't say I'm convinced. In reading the Bible and by what I've read and studied over the years I'd have to say I'm more convinced in the other direction, but I also haven't given it a huge amount of thought or prayer. Also I've noticed in life that people often become convinced about what they naturally "side with". It's human nature. By reading and studying books, articles, sermons and verses that tend to explore the point of view we already hold, we reinforce that point of view. Now I'm talking about myself here, not you. Just saying that there is room for expansion of my own imagination and comfortably held beliefs, I'm sure. Anyway, i'm definitely interested in what you have to say and your journey with God, and I wish you every good thing. One parting thought - The Holy Spirit leads God's children into truth, and He is a faithful guide. Dylan and I are reading a book right now you might enjoy (or may have already read) called Vertical Church by James MacDonald, published by David C. Cook. It's awesome so far, and has helped to re-ignite our love and passion for God's work in the church. I think possibly many of his ideas would resonate with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not discouraged, just thoughtful on this whole journey. The first time I read a theological article by an evangelical scholar who explained an alternative (and I believe, better) to many people's interpretation of Paul's views on women, I cried. I didn't realise just how much it meant to me until that moment, and it's what gave me permission to keep on questioning in this area.

      I know what you mean about how rejoicing can feel fake when we don't necessarily agree that the issue is "rejoiceable." Even as I wrote this article, I felt a bit of a hypocrite, because I know there are other issues where I've been unable to rejoice with others because of my own opinions or views. The question is, do we have to agree 100% with a person before we can rejoice with them? Or can we rejoice because of a deep faith that God speaks to us through our passions as well as our pain, even if we don't understand just how he does it, or what he is accomplishing by it? I'm still contemplating it all as well...

      I've heard of Vertical Church, but don't know much about it. I'll have to investigate further! Thanks for all the well-wishes - and for the opportunities you gave me to grow as a teacher in Edson!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your feelings. All to often we make the mistake of not paying attention to how others feel. I think the call to love people as Jesus loves the church means rejoicing when they rejoice and crying when they cry. We may have differences with the folks we are asked to rejoice or cry with, but that is ok. Ultimately it is Jesus job to guide and direct them, not ours.

    May the King continue to guide and bless you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josh! Thanks for stopping by...it's funny how we make loving others so complicated, eh?

      Delete
  3. I'm excited for your opportunity to share your gift. I'm sure you will be a blessing to you audience.
    I would however like to add a few categories to those responding to the news of your speaking opportunity:
    View C - Wow, I'm at least as excited that I get to hear a woman preach as I am to be hearing God's word.
    View D - I support your calling and your right to speak, but I don't want to sound like I'm from View C
    Until we arrive at the utopia where everyone has View A, there will be some in View C and the quiet backlash in View D. I don't pretend to know these people better than you do, but I would like to suggest that it may be the caution of View D that you're seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi William, your additional categories are spot-on. I think I've found myself in View D once or twice before...afraid to admit my "heresies" in front of judgment-prone onlookers. It shuts down dialogue before it's even had a chance to start. I'm trying to be more honest with my views, the orthodox as well as the unorthodox! Peace, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was asked to serve in church leadership a few years ago and my dearest friends met that news with, "I don't think women should be in leadership." Like you I didn't seek it out, nor did I really want to take on the task but my pastor asked me to prayerfully consider it and I did. And even though I really believed that God was placing me there, I struggled with being a girl in the room and with others not believing I should be there simply because I was a girl. It hurt. Thank you for saying yes to the call to preach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! Thanks so much for sharing a little bit of your story...I'd love to hear more. I'm so glad YOU said yes, too! And I'm also glad your pastor was able to affirm you, even when others couldn't (or wouldn't). It's a start. Blessings on the journey!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for this. I remember having many similar thoughts when I entered seminary. Two people in my husband's whole extended family were happy and proud of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robeena, this post got a few more hits today and I just now noticed that I replied to you in the wrong spot, and with the wrong name, to boot! Sorry about that! I'll recopy here:

      Hi Jen, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear of the lack of support - and I understand it. I'm wondering, though - has anything changed since? Have people been softening up a bit? I'm hoping that's the case! :-) B

      Delete
  7. Hi Jen, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear of the lack of support - and I understand it. I'm wondering, though - has anything changed since? Have people been softening up a bit? I'm hoping that's the case! :-) B

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure this won't help in changing the hearts of those who take issue with women preaching, but FWIW, this agnostic deist was excited for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be polite. If you would like to leave a comment without entering personal information online, you can choose the "Anonymous" option from the drop-down list. If you would like to be informed of follow-up comments on this post, click on the Subscribe By Email link to the bottom right (you must be logged into Google to do this). Thanks for commenting!