"The kind of food our minds devour will determine the kind of person we become." - John Stott, Your Mind Matters

Friday, January 8, 2010

Presence and Perspective

The Practice of the Presence of God, by Brother Lawrence, Part 3
progress: completed

"Do not forget Him! Think of Him often; adore Him ceaselessly; live and die with Him. That is the real business of a Christian; in a word, it is our profession. If we do not know it, we must learn it." (48)

Before I move on to the next book on my reading list, I owe comment on the topic of the presence of God, which tis he primary subject upon which Brother Lawrence so passionately expounds. In his own words, it is:
"the concentration of the soul's attention on God, remembering that He is always present...[It] is the life and nourishment of the soul, which can be acquired with the grace of God" (67, 68).
He resolved to do whatever he could for God - big or small - and to banish from his life anything that would offend or displease God. When he wandered in his thoughts, he would simply recall them back to God, gently and without condemnation from himself or God. When he was troubled by something, he simply released his concerns to God and lost himself in His love. When he was successful in his attempts at practicing the presence of God, he thanked God for the grace to do so. His life was a fleshed-out attempt at abiding, or dwelling, in Christ (John 15).

It all sounds good. It makes sense. Focus in on God and everything will fall into its proper place, and life will work. I even get that life will work because at that point you'll have transformed definitions for what it means for life to "work" (as with the delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart passage in Psalm 37). What I don't get is how to do this with children. I've had this blog entry in process for several days now, because I've been interrupted by:
  • R trying to attach a Mega-blocks sword to a non-Mega-blocks Spiderman figure (they don't fit, so I have to keep reattaching the sword for him)
  • T telling me about a monster in his dream with "powerful snot"
  • L getting into my paper trays and swatting at me when I tell her no, then collapsing on the floor in an impressive tantrum display. This is already her fourth one of the day...or more.
  • T needing me to open the tin where he is storing his fallen pine needles from the Christmas tree "for crafts"
  • T telling me his grand plan for an amazing outer space picture, which will be a present for Steve tonight
  • T needing me to draw, then cut, then redraw stars for his outer space picture
  • R and T fighting over their new Christmas present
And that's just the last ten minutes. Add to that the endless cacophony of three little people wanting to talk, needing to be heard and acknowledged, and waiting for a response from me, and focusing my mind on spiritual things get hard. True, Brother Lawrence experienced much grace in being able to "turn his little omelette in the pan for the love of God" but did he have three chattering monks in need of constant assistance in the kitchen with him at the same time?

I don't know the answer to this, but I suspect Brother Lawrence would tell me that practicing the presence simply means inviting God to join me with my three little chatterboxes, and going off to play with a thankful and grateful heart that he's entrusted them to me. He would say that motherhood is God's portion for me at this point in my life and that I can show him my love by doing it (motherhood, that is) to the best of my ability. I liked this prayer:


"My God, since You are with me, and since, by Your will, I must occupy myself with external things, please grant me the grace to remain with you, in Your presence. Work with me, so that my work might be the very best. Receive as an offering of love both my work and all my affections." (82)
Somehow it still feels like it's going to make me feel guilty rather than blessed. The truth is that it's hard to get your headspace right when your headspace is not your own - it's being bombarded by chattering, stuttering, crying, whining, grumpy and often very sweet (hence the guilt) little voices, fighting for airtime inside my consciousness. Maybe I should've figured out this whole presence thing before I had kids and then I could've been the calm, fun, intentional, idealized mother I'd always figured I would naturally be.

And yet, the only way to experience true comfort is in Christ. Brother Lawrence said that "God won't allow a soul that is searching for Him to be comforted anywhere other than with Him" (31-32). All other attempts to find comfort will fail. I think the same can be said for contentment, joy, peace, etc. So, unless I believe that being a mom makes practicing God's presence impossible, I've got to keep trying to figure it out. What does practicing God's presence look like to me at this point in my life - a wife and mother of three children, a woman struggling with guilt and failure and discontent? How does God's presence transform and redeem and alter my perspective on these things?

***

"Faith gave Brother Lawrence a firm hope in God's goodness, confidence in His providence, and the ability to completely abandon himself into God's hands. He never worried about what would become of him; rather he threw himself into the arms of infinite mercy. The more desperate things appeared to him, the more he hoped - like a rock beaten by the waves of the sea and yet settling itself more firmly in the tempest. This is why he said that the greatest glory one can give to God is to entirely mistrust one's own strength, relying completely on God's protection. This constitutes a sincere recognition of one's weakness and a true confession of the omnipotence of the creator. (89)

"Brother Lawrence saw nothing but the plan of God in everything that happened to him. Because he loved the will of the Lord so much he was able to bring his own will into total submission to it. This kept him in continuous peace." (89)

Share

5 comments:

  1. I like this! : "I suspect Brother Lawrence would tell me that practicing the presence simply means inviting God to join me with my three little chatterboxes, and going off to play with a thankful and grateful heart that he's entrusted them to me. He would say that motherhood is God's portion for me at this point in my life and that I can show him my love by doing it (motherhood, that is) to the best of my ability."

    Well articulated. I think you've got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually feel best about myself as a parent when I am able to abandon any sense of my personal agenda (at least until they're asleep). Then I am free to play and create with them without stressing about "what needs to be done." It's easier said than done, and not possible to do every day, all day, but it's great when I can do it. As it is, I didn't go and play with my kids yesterday after I wrote that quote, I kept writing and finishing my blog. But that felt good too. Now, however, I am signing off to go make a Lego robot! Thanks for reading, Rosie, it's an encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine who is a mom (and a Christian) recently posted this as her Facebook status update, and then followed up with a comment presenting the same idea in a different way. You've got to be a bit of a music geek to get the first one and a programming geek to get the second one, but I'll explain both:

    ||: This too shall pass :||
    ------------------------
    youHaveKids=true;
    do while (youHaveKids)
    Remember ("This too shall pass...");
    end;

    The first uses the musical "repeat sign" notation with no way to jump out of it to a second ending. The second uses a "while loop" in a generic programming language, with the condition for repeating the loop always being true. They are both essentially endless loops of saying to yourself "this too shall pass."

    Funny, and an amusing way to put it. But I like better the fact that you are wrestling with trying to have an active spiritual life *while* you're raising your kids, not just looking forward to the time when you are past this phase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I also like it that the colors you've chosen for the text in your blog match the colors in The Three Visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always a pleasure to trade thoughts with you, Rosie :-)

    I enjoyed the two parallel messages...with the explanations for my novice music/math mind. Glad you liked the colours, too. I've been worried they're a bit over the top, but it's just fun to tweak with my words in different ways!

    ReplyDelete

Please be polite. If you would like to leave a comment without entering personal information online, you can choose the "Anonymous" option from the drop-down list. If you would like to be informed of follow-up comments on this post, click on the Subscribe By Email link to the bottom right (you must be logged into Google to do this). Thanks for commenting!