"The kind of food our minds devour will determine the kind of person we become." - John Stott, Your Mind Matters

Saturday, January 23, 2010

To Clarify

Apparently I am still not talking enough about Letters to Malcolm. Steve would like to learn more about the book itself, and so I'm trying to figure out my specific purpose for this blog. I would like to introduce people to good books, I would like to encourage discussion, I would like to be challenged by the authors I read and the people who read my posts. These are all important to me, but I suppose my primary purposes are selfish ones: I want to write, I want to engage with the authors I'm reading, and most of all I want to process my own thoughts as I read. So, sometimes there may be an abundance of quotes and interaction with specific thoughts of my author friends, but other times (as of late) I may go chasing rabbit trails of my own making. I hope there will be a balance of both.

With approximately two weeks to devote to reading, processing and writing about each book, I have to pick and choose which worthy thoughts I will engage and which tasty morsels I will have to ignore (at least, in print) for now. I have been tempted to post the occasional list of good quotes, but so far have resisted. Perhaps it would be helpful. At any rate, it would help me to remember all the good stuff I've found. With some books I will discuss an overall theme, with others I may end up exploring one specific quote or passage. I may also bring in other authors I'm reading concurrently and enter them into the conversation, with or without much introduction.

What I endeavour most to accomplish is my own integrity in writing. I'm trying to be honest with myself and whomever else is reading. I'm trying to let go of worrying about what I write because of what someone else might think - of whether they will disagree or think I'm unintelligent, ignorant or uninformed. I'm trying to flesh out ideas about which I'm not always 100% convinced. I will try to be honest in admitting when I don't agree with or understand what appears to be an orthodox idea. Other times my honesty will take the form of preaching to myself something I know to be true but haven't yet fully absorbed into my spiritual walk. At any rate, please don't think I'm preaching to you!

Last of all, this honesty is forcing me to be vulnerable. As much as I would like to have something profound to offer, I am painfully aware that there are many who are infinitely more capable. This willingness to be vulnerable also brings freedom. I release my fears, insecurities and failures and entrust myself to the One who called me onto this journey in the first place. My hope is that through this blog and my fumbled attempts at engaging far superior thinkers, I might just have something profound to say by the end of the journey. Wisdom is what I seek.

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite. If you would like to leave a comment without entering personal information online, you can choose the "Anonymous" option from the drop-down list. If you would like to be informed of follow-up comments on this post, click on the Subscribe By Email link to the bottom right (you must be logged into Google to do this). Thanks for commenting!