"The kind of food our minds devour will determine the kind of person we become." - John Stott, Your Mind Matters

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Fortuitous Find at the Book Fair

Well, there I was at the Scholastic Book Fair at my son's elementary school today, browsing through the piles of teenage vampire lit, Pokemon manuals and frilly pink puppy diaries, when a book of a different sort caught my eye:


Get Real: What Kind of World Are You Buying? 
by Mara Rockliff

The book is geared toward ages 9-12 and discusses the wider implications of what we're investing in when we spend our money on items such as shoes, cell phones, fast food and bottled water, to name a few. I've been browsing it for the last hour or so and it looks pretty good - and not just for the 9-12 bracket, either.

Although Rockliff is descriptive and snarky in her descriptions of how things are made, she's not over the top and her chapters are filled with practical suggestions on how to make better, more informed choices. The final chapters offer many suggestions for change, as well as inspiring stories of other teens and adults who've made a difference in their world. She also includes a graphic of a "wallet buddy," put out by The Center for a New American Dream. It's a tiny paper pouch into which you can slide your credit card, with the following message on one side:


"Every dollar I spend is a statement about the kind of world I want and the quality of life I value."

...and a list of questions to consider before using that credit card on the other side:
  • Is this something I need?
  • Do I already own something that could serve the same purpose?
  • Can I borrow one, find one used, or make one instead of buying new?
  • Was it made locally?
  • Was it made with environmentally preferable materials?
  • Was it made with fair labor practices?
  • Will it serve more than one purpose?
  • Will it be easy and cost-effective to maintain?
  • Will using it require excessive energy?
  • Does it come in excessive packaging?
  • Can I recycle or compost it when I'm done with it?
  • If I'm not still sure, can I wait a month before deciding to buy it?
I thought it was pretty cool. You can download your own copy (slightly altered*) to print out here.

(*The list of questions on the current link is shorter than the above list, which I liked better.)

Share

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...this looks very interesting...and something that could certainly serve a purpose in our house! I fear I am raising materialistic children due to my own habits! Might be worthy of many good dinner time conversations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought so. It was $12.50 at the book fair. If you don't end up buying it, you can borrow mine sometime :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please be polite. If you would like to leave a comment without entering personal information online, you can choose the "Anonymous" option from the drop-down list. If you would like to be informed of follow-up comments on this post, click on the Subscribe By Email link to the bottom right (you must be logged into Google to do this). Thanks for commenting!