"The kind of food our minds devour will determine the kind of person we become." - John Stott, Your Mind Matters

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

On Being Thoughtful Christians: Using, Losing and Abusing Our Minds - Part 1

Your Mind Matters: The Place of the Intellect in the Christian Life, by John Stott
progress: completed

One of the highest and noblest functions 
of man's mind is to listen to God's Word, 
and so to read his mind and think his thoughts after him, 
both in nature and in Scripture. (31)

When I started my first year of Bible College, someone spoke in Chapel about not losing the "heart and hands" aspect of our faith while we strengthened the "head" aspect through theological study. It seemed obvious enough to me at the time, but I had no idea how tricky this would prove to be in real life, nor how many different ways that we as Christians can get off balance in this area.

On the one hand, there is a brand of theological prowess, which in the midst of substandard (or nearly nonexistent) theology, is easily mutated into cynicism. Poor teaching or a lack of teaching can contribute to this condition in the hearts of those who are hungrier than their fellows for a more thorough treatment of ideas and beliefs. Intellectual condescension causes the informed to forget that they, too, were once uninformed. Intellectual pride can convince those who are knowledgeable to think they have all of the knowledge and cannot learn from someone with less knowledge than themselves. (The application of fancy labels are handy tools, used to dismiss those who are "simple," "ignorant" or "sentimental." - I could use more specific terms, but I'm trying very hard to speak in generalities.) And all of these things - intellectual cynicism, condescension, and pride - can lead to an imbalanced perspective that views theology and doctrine as the Most Important Thing.

Others have had run-ins with such types of people and become utterly turned off to the ego and the attitude and the dogma - and along with it the thinking, the theology, and the doctrine. They can be reactionary to the point of placing personal experience above theology, sometimes going so far as to pit doctrine and Christian living against each other, as if it must be one or the other. Others adopt a black-and-white approach to biblical ideas, because it is so much easier than thinking through individual situations to discern the subtle shades of gray which may in fact be the most spiritually wise.

There are congregations where a lack of education is suspect, and there are congregations where too much education is suspect. There are churches that are too focused on theology, and there are churches that ignore it completely (interestingly, either situation is a good breeding ground for a cult to be birthed). There are "educated" believers who are profoundly ignorant, and "uneducated" believers who are profoundly wise.

I might add that I can see distorted reflections of myself in each and every one of these caricatures.

So, which is it, then? The mind or the heart? Intellect or experience? Doctrine or practice? Knowledge or zeal?

Of course the answer is yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. In the opening chapter of his tiny book, John Stott writes,
Many have zeal without knowledge, enthusiasm without enlightenment. In more modern jargon, they are keen but clueless.
Now I thank God for zeal. Heaven forbid that knowledge without zeal should replace zeal without knowledge! God's purpose is both, zeal directed by knowledge, knowledge fired with zeal. (13)
He goes on to quote a former seminary president:
Commitment without reflection is fanaticism in action. But reflection without commitment is the paralysis of all action. (Dr. John Mackay, quoted on page 14)
Always being careful to reassure his readers that his goal is not an "arid hyper-intellectualism" or a "dry, humourless, academic Christianity, but...a warm devotion set on fire by truth," (18) Stott laments the spirit of anti-intellectualism that has taken hold of both secular and Christian culture today. He points out three emphases within the church which have a tendency in this direction: the disproportionate focus on ritual, social action or experience can become "escape routes by which to avoid our God-given responsibilities to use our minds Christianly." (17) Again, he is not arguing against these things, but for them to be kept in their proper place - that is, in subjection to a thoughtful understanding of Scripture.

He takes some time to argue in defense of our minds - first of all, that we were created to think. We alone of all God's creatures were given the ability for rational thought. And for those who would argue that our minds are now fallen and therefore untrustworthy, he argues that they are no more fallen than our emotions, to which many retreat. Moreover, our minds have been redeemed, along with the rest of ourselves, and are daily being renewed. Lastly, we will be judged by our knowledge, and what we do with it.

How long will you simple ones love your simple ways?
How long will mockers delight in mockery and
fools hate knowledge? 
--Proverbs 1:22

Our minds, and our thoughts, matter.

--
I've left this post unfinished for nearly a week now, so perhaps I'll make this part one and finish up in a separate post when I have time. Next time I'll look at his examples of how the mind is to be engaged in worship, faith, holiness, guidance, evangelism and ministry. Stay tuned! ~ Becky

Share

5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your analysis of John Stott's thoughts. Always enjoy your blog, even though my poor aging eyes still find it hard to read on a black background! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, as usual, Becky. I read that book back in 1995 and it must have been one of the things that influenced my decision to go to Regent. I was reading other similar books in that era that I definitely remember having made an impression on me that led me to want to pursue theological education. One other such was "Fit Bodies Fat Minds" by Os Guiness, but the main one was "The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind" by Mark Noll. Later on once I'd already come to Regent I followed up with "The Christian Mind" by Harry Blamires and "Discipleship of the Mind" by James W. Sire.

    Stott is one of my favorite thinkers. I met him and got to spend a week with him and a group of other travellers on board a sailing ship in the Caribbean in January 1995. He was the speaker on the tour, and he gave talks on his theme of "ornitheology" (what we can learn about God from the birds) which ended up making their way into his book "The Birds Our Teachers." We did a lot of bird watching on the trip, as we stopped at various islands that had some rare species. Stott is a real gem. He made time for each one of us to come talk to him privately for pastoral counsel, and he prayed for each of us every day on the trip.

    I'm thrilled that we'll be studying him as the last pastor we cover in the class I'm auditing right now at Regent on the History of the Christian Pastor. So glad you're reading him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Rosie, that cruise sounds awesome! You'll have to tell me more about it sometime (as well as more about your History of the Christian Pastor class). Thanks for all the book suggestions; Noll's Scandal is one I've thought I should read for a long time, and the others I will add to my expanding Bookmeal list!

    Stott is always encouraging - I've read his commentaries on Ephesians and Acts in the last year or two and appreciated his insight so much.

    Also, Anonymous (aka Mom :-) brings up a good point: if the black is too hard to read, there are at least three options:

    1. Highlight the text and it will be white on blue - perhaps a little gentler on the eyes.
    2. Read my posts through Networked Blogs on Facebook. There is an option to read them within the NB interface, where they will be a normal black and white.
    3. At the bottom of the homepage, there is an option to Subscribe to Posts (Atom). Click on this to see the posts in the normal black and white.

    I'm sure there are other, perhaps better options, but I'm too new at blogging to know them. I know, I know, I could change the colours of the blog itself, but I kinda like them, and they've started to feel like my trademark. :-)

    Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like these blog colors too, and they're the same ones I use. I've gotten one comment complaining about them, but I like your response to that.

    I'll tell you more about the John Stott birdwatching trip in the Caribbean someday when I can dig up my slides and trip brochure to jog my memory. It was awesome. It was on the Sea Cloud. We stopped at Antiga, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, and Trinidad & Tobago. The most memorable experience (apart from meeting John Stott) was seeing the famed scarlet ibises at Caroni Swamp just before sunset as they returned (as they do every evening) by the thousands to one particular tree to roost for the night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosie, I think we need a phone date soon, so we can have a proper chat - although I do like being able to save our written conversations so I can reread them!

    Also, I double-checked the Networked Blogs option #2 for easier reading, and it didn't work - it just kept linking to my blog, with all it's annoying black! But I think the other two options will work.

    ReplyDelete

Please be polite. If you would like to leave a comment without entering personal information online, you can choose the "Anonymous" option from the drop-down list. If you would like to be informed of follow-up comments on this post, click on the Subscribe By Email link to the bottom right (you must be logged into Google to do this). Thanks for commenting!